[Samba] sync /etc/passwd with samba's smbpasswd file

Patrick Kwan pat at pat.dyndns.info
Mon Dec 16 06:21:01 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I want to sync the password to smbpasswd when I change the
Linux system a/c password in /etc/passwd.

I have compiled samba with --with-pam_smbpasswd and install
the file pam_smbpass.so to /lib/security.

I have looked into the samba's source directory:
source/pam_smbpass/samples, their is a directory named
"password-sync". How can I use this file to sync password from
 system a/c to smbpasswd a/c.

Or, there is another way to do that?

I can sync password from smbpasswd to /etc/passwd with the
following config in global:

[global]
unix password sync = true
passwd program   = /usr/bin/passwd %u