[Samba] Laggy and faulty Samba server

Haakon Nilsen nilsen at prosalg.no
Sun Dec 15 09:11:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I've installed Samba a few times, and I always have the same problem -
except now I really want to get rid of it.

My Samba server is very, very, very slow on occations (not always), and
some times it's really annoying.

What happens is that it doesn't seem to be online for a period of 5-10
seconds once every minute! If I'm copying huge files, it's working
great, but when copying smaller files or doing directory listings, it
screws up by being slow and very laggy.

Now - I've had this problem on all my Samba servers in the past, and I
guess there is something I do wrong. Is there anyone that can help me?

Below you can see my config file.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Haakon Nilsen

-----------------

#
# Generated by ./modify_samba_config.pl
#
[global]
        passwdprogram             = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        guestaccount              = samba
        socketoptions             = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF
        obeypamrestrictions       = yes
        unixpasswordsync          = Yes
        maxlogsize                = 1000
        passwdchat                =
*New*password*%n\n*Retype*new*password* %n\n
        dnsproxy                  = no
        workgroup                 = Arbeidsgruppe
        pampasswordchange         = yes
        serverstring              = Game Server
        encryptpasswords          = yes
        hostsallow                = 192.168.1.
        security                  = share
        smbpasswdfile             = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        logfile                   = /var/log/samba/%m.log

## Section - [temp]
[temp]
        readonly                  = no
        comment                   = Temp katalog
        public                    = yes
        path                      = /data/temp

## Section - [D]
[D]
        read only                 = yes
        comment                   = D
        write list                = root, nilsen
        public                    = yes
        path                      = /data/d

## Section - [D write]
[D write]
        writeable                 = yes
        comment                   = D write
        write list                = root, nilsen
        public                    = no
        path                      = /data/d

## Section - [felles]
[felles]
        readonly                  = no
        comment                   = Felles
        public                    = yes
        path                      = /data/felles

## Section - [Images]
[Images]
        readonly                  = no
        comment                   = Images
        writable                  = no
        public                    = yes
        path                      = /data/images

## Section - [Images]
[Images write]
        writeable                 = yes
        comment                   = Images write
        public                    = no
        write list                = nilsen, root
        path                      = /data/images

#
# end of generated smb.conf
#