[Samba] oplocks and samba 2.2.7

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 13 23:04:01 GMT 2002

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 23:24, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
>
>>Simo Sorce wrote:
>

>>>I can't not understand with debian cannot update packeges that are in
>>>the stable version ... but that's a debian problem not samba related ...
>>>

>>Well, I think I understand and approve of the reasons: it's so packages
>>can get tested properly before you run them on your 'stable' server.
>

> That's fine with development versions, but samba stable is ... well ...
> stable :-)

There's (at least) three other things involved here, though:

* Because upstream (samba developers) say something is stable may not be
good enough for Debian team, since they have to stand behind it
* Some of the testing is on the Debian package itself: how well does it
integrate into Debian, etc.
* Debian is not one entity, but a group of developers; if the Samba
maintainer were allowed to shove a new package into stable, that might
be OK; but other developers would want to do the same thing, and, sooner
or later, stable would get a showstopping problem.

I would say that third reason is really important.  Stated another way,
because Debian is very loosely organized, no one person can decide what
can/cannot go into stable; therefore it is governed by policy, which had
to govern everyone, and therefore errs on the cautious side.

Does that make sense?  If you don't like this sort of loosely organized
team, which has political problems, you might like another distribution
better.  With a whole other set of problems.  :-)