[Samba] Symbolic links and SAMBA

Long, Jesse Jesse.Long at hp.com
Fri Dec 13 19:07:49 GMT 2002

Hi:

I am experiencing the following problem:

I have a Linux SAMBA server set up with a share containing the source
code for my RH Linux 8.0 kernel, which is on another machine.  I have no
problems mounting or accessing the share on the RH client.  The problem
occurs when I run the 'make' command, on the mounted share, (which
requires removing and re-setting a symbolic link 'include/asm') I get
the following error message:

ln: creating symbolic link 'asm' to 'asm-i386': Operation not permitted.

I have check the smb.conf file on the server and verified the following
parameters are set as indicated:

Writable = yes
Map system = yes
Follow symlinks = yes
Wide links = yes

I have set the fmask and dmask to 0777 on the smbmount command when
mounting the share, and the entry in /proc/mounts indicates that the
share is mounted rw, with fmask and dmas both set to 0777.

Would anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this error?

Jess Long
Systems Engineer
Industry Standard Servers
Software Delivery