[Samba] Access to Everyone

Gareth Davies gdavies at willowbrook.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 16:35:01 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Wright" <cwright at froude.fki-et.com>
To: "Samba Group" <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 4:22 PM
Subject: [Samba] Access to Everyone

> Hello,
> I'm new to this group so please accept my apologies for any gaffs I might
> make.
>
> My problem is this:
>
> I am running Samba 2.23 on RedHat 7.3. Using various unix permissions,
users
> & groups & smbusers / smbpasswords I am able to control who see what
shares.
> The Security in samba is set to users. and passwords are encrypted. What I
> would like to do is have one particular share RO to everybody but without
> having to setup everyone as unix & smbusers. I know if I changed to
> security=share I can do it but this causes me problems elsewhere on other
> shares because of the continuing need to input a username & password each
> time you connect. The PC's that need to see the share are NT4 workstations
> that are not on a NT domain (we use Novell). I guess in simple terms I
need
> a public RO share without any restrictions on who connects, whilst
> maintaining the restrictions on the other shares. Any Ideas?
>
> Craig
>
> --

Create a new user e.g "reader"

And use the force user = reader option on the share.

With chmod you should be able to set it so that this user can only read, not
write or delete files in this share.

This just means everyone that connects to the share will connect as this
user.

I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do this, but this is how I would do
it :)

Shaolin