[Samba] Winbind issues

Richard Coyle rcoyle at SuccessForAll.net
Fri Dec 13 15:12:02 GMT 2002

I am having problems with Samba and Winbind on RedHat 8.0.  Just to let you
know I am a Samba and Linux newbie.... please be gentle.

I have put the settings of my files at the end of this message in case these
can help.   Here is my problem.

I can access a share created in the smb.conf file from my NT domain, if that
share is shared to a domain group.  (valid users = domain+group).
However when I issue the command
	wbinfo -u or wbinfo - g  i get the following reponse:
'Error looking up domain users' or 'groups'.

If I issues wbinfo -r domainname+usersname
I get a listing of the gid's that these groups are using.

If I issue:  getent -groups
	only local groups are enumerated

What I need to understand is:
	Why do wbinfo -u and -g  and getent not work?
	If I get them to work, I also need to understand one other thing,
will the domain groups be visible in the "User and Groups" in the Gnome Gui?
	I have read the manpages, and applied the settings as they instruct.
I have joined the domain, wbinfo -t tells me "the secret is good".

	Also if you can let me know.  Is Samba working and not winbind?  or
is part of Winbind working?

Any help or directions on what book to buy, or site to visit will be
appreciated.

My smb.conf file has the following items in it:

	[global]
	winbind separator = +
	winbind uid = 10000-20000
	winbind gid = 10000-20000
	winbind enum users = yes
	winbind enum groups = yes
	winbind cache time = 15

	# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   	workgroup = MyDomain

	# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   	server string = Sfa-SMB1

	security = domain

My nsswitch.conf file looks like this:

	passwd:     files nis winbind
	shadow:     files nis winbind
	group:      files nis winbind

My Pam.d\samba file looks like
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so
auth       sufficient	/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
;auth       required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_first_pass shadow
nullok
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
account    required	/lib/security/pam_winbind.so
;session    required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
;password   required	pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required	/lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password   required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_first_pass shadow
nullok
session    required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so