[Samba] Samba not visible on network neighbourhood

Rohit Peyyeti rohit at translogicsys.com
Fri Dec 13 09:12:00 GMT 2002

Hello All:

I have a small problem in setting up Samba on my NT
network here. This is the environment on which I'm
running Samba Server on:

Samba Version: 2.2.7-1.7.3
OS: Redhat 7.3
Kernel: 2.4.18-18.7.x

Problem description:
Samba Server is not visible in my windows XP/NT
network neighborhood. But after I added my
Samba Server's name & IP address in my hosts
file, I was able to connect to it this way:
\\Samba\rohit\ (I can see files in my home share
on linux box) from my XP box. I guess connectivity
should be fine between these two machines.

But I still can't see this samba box from my network
neighborhood. Is there anything which I'm missing?

Here is part of what my smb.conf looks like:

workgroup = GENETECH
server string = Samba Server
hosts allow = 10.10.10., 127.
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
printing = lprng
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
security = domain
password server = *
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
pam password change = yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
obey pam restrictions = yes
dns proxy = no