[Samba] Rejoining domain with W2K

Jonas Oberg jonas at informatik.gu.se
Fri Dec 13 07:18:01 GMT 2002

A followup to this question:

> I have successfully installed Samba 2.2.7a as a PDC and has added the
> "add user script" to automatically create machine accounts. This
> worked very well when I added my client machine the first time. It
> successfully joined the domain and I was able to login as a user.
>
> I then removed the machine from the domain and put it in an unrelated
> workgroup and then tried to re-join the Samba domain. When I do that,
> using the same username (root) and password as when I first joined the
> domain, I get the following error:
>
> "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done"

I have done some more testing with this and it would appear to me that
the Windows 2000 SP3 client does not recognise the fact that an
account already exists. When using the wizard, it says that "A
machine account for your computer could not be found in the domain"
(or something to that extent), even though it definitely does exist.

With the CVS version of Samba (3.0alpha21), I'm not even able to get
it to function as a PDC, so 2.2.7a is so far the closest thing I've
come :-)

--
Jonas Öberg
Systems administrator/webmaster, Department of Informatics,