[Samba] Samba as PDC

Jim Durham durham at jcdurham.com
Fri Dec 13 05:18:01 GMT 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 03:20 pm, Hogo wrote:
> Hey,
>
>   I try to configure my homeserver to a PDC with Samba. I think my
> smb.conf looks right, because I got it from the internet.

(SNIP!)

> 'root' and my unix-account are writen in the smbpasswd. Now I log on
> with Windows2000 and try to join to the SAMBA-domain. But I always
> get the error message:'The used account is a workstation account. Use
> your normal useraccount or a local useraccount to get on the
> server'(translated from german)
>
> What does this error want to tell me? What did I wrong?

Make sure you have a machine account in the unix password file for the
name of the XP machine and a machine account in smbpasswd.

In order to join the domain, use the root account and whatever password
is in 'smbpasswd" file for root. It's a good idea to make this different
than the unix password for root.

_jim