[Samba] Must Samba have DNS server?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Dec 13 04:49:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Joel Hammer wrote:

> You could put the linux server into the lmhosts file, if they have those
> things in 2k.
> Joel

No sir! CIFS networking can use WINS or broadcast based name resolution.
There is NO need to put your samba server on Linux into an lmhosts file
and there is absolutely no need to run DNS just for MS Windows file and
print support.

WINS is the best name resolver for MS Windows networking without any
question.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra