[Samba] PDF printing problem - can't find Samba's spool file?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Dec 13 00:04:03 GMT 2002

David Brodbeck wrote:

> [...]

I did, and I don't feel guilty of being rude. However, I feel I have put
in a *lot* of effort to help you, *after* I was able to tickle a little
piece of info out of you. Remember, no-one eles responded at first, and
you should ask yourself why. Try to provide more useful info in the future
in your first port.

> I *do* appreciate the help, but I don't appreciate being treated like an
> idiot in the process.

I am sorry, if me slightly ironic undertone did hort you.

>>* Samba has a great little utility, which lets you increase
>>   and decrease the debuglevel "on the fly", without editing
>>   and reloading the smb.conf or stopping and starting the
>>   daemon:
>>
>>    "smbcontrol smbd debuglevel"  # tells you the current debuglevel
>>    "smbcontrol smbd debug 3"     # set the debuglevel to 3
>>

> Good idea.  I will give this a try after business hours.  Right now there's
> so much traffic on the system that the debug output is overwhelming at level
> 3.

Sometimes -- if it is very obvious -- you even get useful info from debuglevel
2 or 1.

> I'll keep your other suggestions, and use them if I can't get this working
> as-is.  I really feel like it shouldn't be necessary to build a whole CUPS
> configuration just to do this, though.

No, it isn't. If your clients don't run CUPS, you'd have to upgrade them
to CUPS to reap the fullest of benefits from that approach (PDF backend
script on the server). If your clients run CUPS anyway, then it is the
most easy and complete approach. If you don't have any physical printer
in your net served by CUPS, you can well stick with what you plan.

But who could know your intention or your environment from the info
you provided?

> Other examples I've seen for
> creating PDF printers didn't.

Please tell us the content of the smb.conf file (without comments),
like:

     grep -v ^# /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep -v "^;" | grep -v ^$

Only if you tell us all your other settings will someone be able to
guess why your Samba spool directory doesn't seem to get the jobs,
or why your custom print command isn't executed (questions coming to
mind are "What's in the [general] section?"; "What's in the [printers]
section?" etc.)

Cheers,
Kurt   [ who was missing a comment about his previous hints and questions
          regarding the "printing = cups" and "printcap = cups" settings
          and the question if your smbd is linked against libcups?  ]