[Samba] File Systems - Which one to use?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Dec 12 19:57:01 GMT 2002

> Message: 18
> From: dkrnic at t-online.de (Dragan Krnic)
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Cc: <chart at acad.stedwards.edu>, "'Simo Sorce'" <simo.sorce at xsec.it>
> Subject: AW: [Samba] File Systems - Which one to use?
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:54:48 +0100

> can

I would be a bit hesitant to make such sweeping statements without at
least qualifying the usage the FS is destined for, and what options the
FS was mounted with. Benchmarks of ext3 vs ReiserFS have shown similar
performance of the two when mounted with equivalent options.

> in

>>> Very nice to know, I was aware about EAs not of ACLs, are tehy in
>>> official kernels? I do not use proprietarized distributions so SuSe
>>> and such are not an option I consider.

Run Mandrake (8.1 or later for XFS, 9.0 or later for ACLs on ext2/3, all
works out-the-box via samba). Mandrake 9.0 also has winbind support in
the install (if you need that).

Or, run RH, and get 3rd-party kernels from SGI for XFS, (or roll your own).

>>> Besides that, if it is in an official kernel have you tested them with
>>> samba? Are they Posix compliant? Can you give me some more info on
>
> them?

All of them use the draft posix ACLs.

>>> API?

Merged in-kernel with 2.4.19.

> I'm not SuSE. I only use it. Perhaps it's not for you
> (proprietarized and all).

> because

Depends of course on the file sizes ... very big files in sparse
directories will have a different effect ...

>>> Maybe, but I would like to see some test before :-)
>

> Of course. Before mkreiserfs I copied about 10 GB from the volume, ext3
> Ext3, it took 36 minutes. After mkreiserfs I copied back 13,6 GB in
> 50 minutes flat. Do ll on a real big directory, the listing just gushes
> forth. Sorry, no official benchmark made.

Even "official benchmarks" are difficult to interpret.

I have had issues with ReiserFS2.x, but we really need ACLs, so until
some distro supports ACLs on ReiserFS, it's not coming near my file
servers (mail/news/web maybe).

Buchan

- --