[Samba] permssion issues

Tony McGrew tony at multicam.com
Thu Dec 12 16:10:02 GMT 2002

I have a pretty well working RH7.3 Samba 2.2.5 from RPM set up.  I have
searched the archives and the man pages but can't find an answer to this
issue although I have a sneaking suspicion it is there somewhere.  I have 3
groups set up under linux.  everyone, engr, and sales.  I have 3 shares.
One share is set up for the engr group, one for the sales group, and one for
everyone that gets shared between the 2 groups. The problem is that when a
member of the engr group creates a file on the everyone share it retains the
engr group for that file, and the same happens for the sales.  I have set
the create mode to 777 so that everyone has access to the files but I would
much prefer to have the files created with the proper group setting. (an
engr member creates a file on the engr share with engr group, and create a
file on everyone share with everyone group) I have the following lines in
the everyone share
valid users = +everyone
force group = everyone

What have I missed to get this working properly? Thanks.
Tony McGrew
www.multicam.com