AW: [Samba] File Systems - Which one to use?

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at t-online.de
Thu Dec 12 15:59:04 GMT 2002

> > > ext3 and XFS have ACLs while,
> > > afaik, JFS and reiserFS do not.
> > A dangerous misconception. The best file system around, ReiserFS,
can
> > handle ACLs and EAs just beautifully after you enable the features
in
> > the kernel,
> Very nice to know, I was aware about EAs not of ACLs, are tehy in
> official kernels? I do not use proprietarized distributions so SuSe
> and such are not an option I consider.
>
> Besides that, if it is in an official kernel have you tested them with
> samba? Are they Posix compliant? Can you give me some more info on
them?
> API?

I'm not SuSE. I only use it. Perhaps it's not for you
(proprietarized and all).

> > What a difference in directory manipulation commands! Reiserfs is
> > screaming fast compared to all other fs's out there.
> >
> > Windoze client SMB/CIFS subsystems are very abusive of
> > these commands, so it may mean a lot of difference in performance. I

> > have yet to take it into production (at the moment ext3 rules
because
> > of the same initial error of judgement) but tests so far were very
> > encouraging - oh boy, reiser really kicks butts, especially with log
> > on a separate spindle.
>
> Maybe, but I would like to see some test before :-)

Of course. Before mkreiserfs I copied about 10 GB from the volume, ext3
Ext3, it took 36 minutes. After mkreiserfs I copied back 13,6 GB in
50 minutes flat. Do ll on a real big directory, the listing just gushes
forth. Sorry, no official benchmark made.

If you'll excuse me, I've gotta go check POSIX compliance. Bye.