[Samba] Samba performance on the mainframe

Jim McDonough jmcdsmb at maine.rr.com
Thu Dec 12 15:37:01 GMT 2002

Samba wrote:

> We too are using Samba as a File Server on our mainframe.  We have
> experienced slowness, but I don't know that it's attributed to Samba
> (atleast in our case).  One thing I do know is I took the same data,
> using the same version of Samba (2.2.7) and installed it on an Intel
> PIII.  The PIII performs better in terms of response time and file
> copy speed.  I hesitate to mention it since I dont' have any hard
> proof or numbers.

> I have yet to narrow down where the problem is, if you have any
> suggestions or want to compare configurations let me know.

How much memory did you give the guest?  That's often the problem.
Linux does so much file caching, so when you're running Linux under VM,
you get multiple levels of OS thinking they're doing the right thing for
performance....

Reports of the optimal guest size vary, but I've never heard of anyone
with more than 128MB having good results.  Some folks have found best
results at 44MB.  That's where I'd start.