[samba] File Systems - Which one to use?

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 12 13:03:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 03:58:15PM -0600, Corey Hart wrote:
> We are looking at implementing a Linux box running samba in the near
> future with about 1TB of disk online.  The purpose of this box will be
> for basic file and printer sharing needs.  I am doing research on the
> different journaling file systems avaible in RH 7.3 and up (ext3,
> reiserFS, and JFS) and was wondering if anyone has had any real world
> experience with them (mostly reiserFS and JFS) and what you would have
> to say about them.   I am mostly looking for cavets or gotchas
> pertaining to them.

I think the main caveat to JFS is that everything I've seen so far says
that it is far slower than any of the other common Linux filesystems.
It's still not close enough to being a finished product for me to use
it, and I'd guess that you probably won't find many people who are using
it already.

--
Michael Heironimus