[Samba] What project should I use ?

Gareth Davies gdavies at willowbrook.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 10:06:02 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Croswhite" <ccroswhite at get2chip.com>
To: <simo.sorce at xsec.it>
Cc: <Dale.Sykora at hp.com>; <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 12:06 AM
Subject: RE: [Samba] What project should I use ?

> Have you looked at Samsung Connect (HP sold off OpenMail to them).  It is
> groupware product that can replce exchange in that it supports outlook and
> has several clients that run on KDE, Mac OSX, and web.  I have used
> OpenMail and was supprised by the speed.

As a follow on to this, I've reviewed all of the Exchange replacements
recently.

The worst I have to say really is SuSe mail server(
http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/suse_business/email_server/ ) but
it looks like it has some promise, SCO's Volution (VMS -
http://www.caldera.com/products/volutionmsg/ ) isn't far behind and is quite
expensive (and looks like it isn't about to change).

Samsung Contact isn't too bad, but for the features it provides and the fact
that it's just a follow on from HP's Openmail, they shouldn't really charge
for it at all.

The best of the lot really is GMS (Gordano Messaging Suite -
http://www.ntmail.co.uk/Home/Case_Studies.htm ) which unlike the others has
been built from scratch and is well worth paying for.

There are some promising looking products in the OSS community aswell
(RM-EMS - http://sourceforge.net/projects/rhems/ , Kroupware -
http://kroupware.kde.org/ and Courier - http://www.courier-mta.org/)

It can also be acheived using the freely available singular parts (most of
the commercial projects are based on free components with a few scripts to
tie them together and a web based management interface).

If you want to do it this way I'd suggest, OpenLDAP, Cyrus-IMAP and Exim.

HTH

Shaolin

http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/suse_business/openexchange/index.ht