[Samba] File Systems - Which one to use?

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at t-online.de
Thu Dec 12 09:45:01 GMT 2002

> ext3 and XFS have ACLs while,
> afaik, JFS and reiserFS do not.

A dangerous misconception. The best file system around,
ReiserFS, can handle ACLs and EAs just beautifully after
you enable the features in the kernel, as I learnt from
Mr Deschner from SuSE. If you use SuSE Linux 8.1 look at
these downloads:
>ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mantel/next/RPM/k_deflt-2.4.19-155.i586.rpm
>ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/samba/i386/8.1/*

After installing I copied 13.6 GB of an ext3 filesystem
and got all the bits tucked in 12.6 GB on reiserfs.

What a difference in directory manipulation commands!
Reiserfs is screaming fast compared to all other fs's
out there.

Windoze client SMB/CIFS subsystems are very abusive of
these commands, so it may mean a lot of difference in
performance. I have yet to take it into production (at
the moment ext3 rules because of the same initial error
of judgement) but tests so far were very encouraging -
oh boy, reiser really kicks butts, especially with log
on a separate spindle.

I tried IBM's JFS and made the mistake of keeping the
log on the same medium - it sucked enormously, so I
gave up on it. I mean I might be able to fine-tune it
but it looks like a lot of hassle if you can just use
reiser.

My € 0.02 (2 EuroCents) of thoughts.