[Samba] Large-scale ACL copying?

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Dec 12 08:36:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Andrew Furey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, I'm getting somewhere I think, I now have both ACL support and
> domain login basically working. However I'm at a bit of a loss as to how
> to proceed.
>
> Basically I want to copy over a large number of files and directories
> (~300k files, ~60Gb total) from an existing W2k server to a Samba
> server. These files have existing ACLs set, so I need to preserve them
> somehow.
>
> I can of course copy over the files themselves using any number of
> methods "from" either machine, but the majority of them don't have any
> knowledge of ACLs at all. I've been trying to use xcopy /o, but it gives
> "Access Denied" and a file size of 0. (The "force unknown acl user"
> option is supposed to fix this, but it seems to be ignored according to
> testparm -x   - or am I doing something wrong?)
>
> I could try copying them over and then seting the ACLs either through
> the Security dialog or with setfacl, but given that they're not all
> predictable (any random subfile could have rather different ACLs to its
> parent dir), and also given the sheer number involved, it would take,
> um, a while :(
>
> This is Samba 2.2.7a on Debian unstable (can be reverted to stable if
> need be), and a fairly standard W2k server on domain-level security.
>
> Any ideas for an [easier] way to do this?

Hmmm off the top of my head so please forgive me if I'm leading you down the
garden path.

You might be able to use smbacls to get the info from the server and then
"munge" that into the appropriate setfacl commands.

[tony at patroclus tony]$ smbcacls //hera/c$ boot.ini
Password:
REVISION:1
OWNER:BUILTIN\Administrators
GROUP:BUILTIN\Administrators
ACL:BUILTIN\Administrators:ALLOWED/3/FULL
ACL:Everyone:ALLOWED/3/READ
ACL:NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:ALLOWED/3/FULL

It wouldn't be _easy_ but it's easier than other alternatives you mentioned.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!