[Samba] samba PDC problems

___cliff rayman___ cliff at genwax.com
Thu Dec 12 01:25:01 GMT 2002

Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:

>On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 17:51, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:
>

>>hi tim,
>>
>>i am having the same problem.  i can use XP and samba 2.2.7 in a workgroup
>>environment, and everything works fine.  when i try and join the XP
>>workstation
>>as a domain, i get the same message as you do.
>>
>> i read up on creating a SRV record via bind, which seems easy
>>enough, but i am not sure what prog s/b running on the other end of that
>>service, and how it should be configured.
>>
>>i hope someone with some deep know how understands the problem and what
>>to do here.
>>cliff
>>
>>Tim Nichol wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I am having trouble setting up samba to act as a PDC.  I am fairly new to red hat \
>>>linux, and have just installed RH 7.3 running the default configuration.  I updated \
>>>samba to 2.2.7 using the online updating feature and followed a step by step tutorial \
>>>to configure samba to become a PDC.
>>>
>>>When i try to connect to the domain with windows XP pro, it displays the message "a \
>>>domain controller for the domain mydomain can not be located"
>>>
>>>when i choose details it says
>>>
>>>The error was: "DNS request not supported by name server."
>>>(error code 0x0000232C RCODE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)
>>>
>>>The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain
>>>out without a solution.  Please help!
>>>

>I've not seen this problem before...
>can you browse to the server using it's hostname (not ip address)?

on the XP box: Control Panel -> System -> Computer Name -> Change...

if i use the workgroup setting of GENWAX.TEST, then i can browse
the server, read and write files, and it seems to be working
fine.  if i try to change to a domain setting of GENWAX.TEST, then
it fails with the DNS and SRV record message same as above but
with GENWAX.TEST in place of mydomain.

--
___cliff rayman___cliff at genwax.com___http://www.genwax.com/