[Samba] samba PDC profile issues with winxp and win9x

spambait at wrongexit.net spambait at wrongexit.net
Wed Dec 11 22:16:00 GMT 2002

OK, I've tried to "read the fine material" and have read more than one reference and more than a few
months worth of threads in the archives, but I am still stumped with this issue.

When using logging on with Win9x, there is a profile error #4, and it complains that it was not able to open
or create a file in the \\regmain\[username]\.profile\Cookies folder on login and sign out.

On Win XP, it says "The network name is no longer available" even when trying to join the domain, or if I
manage to get a machine to join the domain, then while it is searching for the server copy of the profile.
I'm still fighting to get the errors consistent enough to track down further than that, but that's where I am,
right now.

I have profiles chmod to 1777, I have also tried creating the profile directories by hand, or using the "build
profile" script, as noted in another source.  I have made sure to chown to the user, where appropriate.

Here is my smb.conf:
# Samba config file created using SWAT (But heavily tweaked from there)
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2002/12/11 15:40:00

# Global parameters
[global]
; Basic server settings
	workgroup = REEDNET
	netbios name = REGMAIN

; we should act as the domain and local master browser
	os level = 65
	domain master = yes
	local master = yes
	preferred master = yes

; security settings (must use security = user [but it's the default] )

; encrypted passwords are a requirement for a PDC
	encrypt passwords = yes

; support domain logons
	domain logons = yes

; where to store user profiles?
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

; where is a user's home directory and where should it
; be mounted at?
	logon drive = x:
	logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile

; needed for win9x profiles
	preserve case = yes
	short preserve case = yes
	case sensitive = no

; specify a generic logon script for all users
; this is a relative **DOS** path to (from) the [netlogon] share
	logon script = logon.bat

; specific password (lack of) requirements for Reed Engineering Group
	min passwd length = 0
	null passwords = yes

	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd -u %u
	unix password sync = yes

; Logging options
	log level = 3
	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
	max log size = 50

; Tuning options
	deadtime = 15
	keepalive = 0

; Special users and handlers
	domain admin group = root amccaleb
	message command = /bin/mail -s 'message from %f on %m' root < %s; rm %s
	hide local users = no
	admin users = root amccaleb
	wins support = yes

[homes]
	path = %H
	valid users = %S
	read only = no
	guest ok = no
	create mask = 0777
	directory mask = 0777
	browseable = yes
	level2 oplocks = yes
	dos filetimes = yes

; share for storing nt/2k/xp user profiles
[profiles]
	path=/srv/profiles
	read only = no
	create mask = 0777