[Samba] Samba PDC for Win2k and WinXP Pro

Data Control Systems, Inc. - Mike Elkevizth mike at dcsamerica.com
Wed Dec 11 18:25:01 GMT 2002

I have samba 2.2.7 running on a RedHat Linux 7.3 system that is being used as a PDC and a file server for a group of Windows 2k and Windows XP Pro computers. I am having a problem with the roaming profiles working on both the 2k and XP machines. The profiles seem to load fine when you log on, but when you log off it will only copy the ntuser.dat file and then a few more files (seems to go to different points each time) and then it will pop up an error message about not being able to copy the roaming profile to the server. The 2k computers are on SP3 and the XPs are on SP1. I have read the problems posted and tried every different fix to solve the problem with no success (one of these is the group policy settings change that Microsoft suggested). Here is a copy of my smb.conf file. I don't have winbind running, can it help (No logins ever made to this Linux box except for system changes like these)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[global]
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s /bin/false -M %u
	domain master = yes
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U.pds
	encrypt passwords = yes
	time server = yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
	wins support = yes
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
	max log size = 50
	preferred master = yes
	hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.5.0/255.255.255.192 192.168.5.128/255.255.255.192 192.168.5.192/255.255.255.192
	passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Enter* new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd: *all* authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
	security = user
	domain logons = yes
	domain admin group = @adm
	unix password sync = yes
	local master = yes
	server string = Linux File Server
	workgroup = TEST
	log level = 2
	netbios name = TEST001
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	os level = 99
	logon drive = H:
	logon home = \\%L\%U
	hide unreadable = yes

[homes]
	comment = Home Directory for %u
	path = /home/%u
	valid users = %U
	browseable = no
	read only = no
	create mode = 0600
	directory mode = 0700

[Profiles]
	path = /home/samba/profiles
	read only = no
	browseable = no
	create mask = 0711
	directory mask = 0711
	valid users = %U
	map archive = yes   # to try and stop desktop.ini files from popping up everywhere
	map system = yes    # to try and stop desktop.ini files from popping up everywhere
	map hidden = yes    # to try and stop desktop.ini files from popping up everywhere
	profile acls = yes

[Netlogon]
	path = /home/netlogon
	read only = yes
	browseable = no
	logon script = %U.bat
	write list = administrator

[DCS]
	path = /common/dcs
	comment = Common shared files for Data Control Systems
	force group = dcs
	read only = no
	create mask = 0771
	directory mask = 2770
	force directory  mode = 2770

[Downloads]
	path = /common/downloads
	comment = Common program installation files
	read only = yes
	write list = administrator