[Samba] can we map windows folder onto unix

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Wed Dec 11 16:18:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 04:41:32PM +0100, bakkerl at lamp.xs4all.nl wrote:
> Quoting Kailash Kayastha <kkayast at abcv.com>:
>
> > Hello,
> > Does anyone on this list know of any utilities that enables mapping
> > windows
> > folder onto Unix machine? I am going to do the migration of our
> > intranet
> > site from IIS to Apache in Linux. As the intranet content is over 15Gig,
> > need to migrate in a phase wise manner. So if I can run web server on
> > linux
> > serving the files from the old intranet box, this would help. Any ideas
> > are
>
> smbmount should do it.
> smbmount //windowsmachine/share /path/where/to/mount
>
> if needed the options username=<john>,passwd=<doe>

..or option credentials=/home/user/.smbfs.credentials

which contain:
username = windows username
password = corresponding password
^D

In this way you hide username and password in a process list.

--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de