[Samba] newbie: Verification of the downloaded Samba source

alan brown alanbrown at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 11 03:53:00 GMT 2002

This is probably nothing but when I did.

     $ gpg --import samba-pubkey.asc
     $ gpg --verify samba-release.tar.[bz2|gz].asc

I got the following response

     gpg: Signature made Tue 26 Nov 2002 07:12:04 PM CST using DSA key
ID 2F87AF6F
     gpg: Good signature from "Samba Distribution Verification Key "

but then I also got the following.

Could not find a valid trust path to the key.  Let's see whether we can
assign some missing owner trust values.

No path leading to one of our keys found

gpg: Warning: This key is not certified with a trusted signature.

Gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.

Is this just something silly that I've done?  I thought I followed the
very simple instructions adequately.  Downloaded the tar file and the
asc file associated with that file and the pubkey.asc file.

Any help would be appreciated.

alan