[Samba] Samba 2.2.1a

Chris Lum chrisl at uvic.ca
Tue Dec 10 21:37:02 GMT 2002

Hi, I'm hoping you could help me or at least direct me to someone who does
know.  We're in a situation where there are at least 30 Windows XP users.
We run Samba 2.2.1a as our file server with Red Hat Linux 7.0

Just a couple of days ago, samba crashed for the first time in a while.  One
hour later it crashed again, then the next hour, then the next...this has
been happening for the past 2 days.  I've been keeping track of when it
crashes and it's almost every hour.  This even happens when no one is
accessing the network. I am constantly monitoring it.  The SMB services
Fails when it crashes so i'm constantly having to reset Samba almost every
hour.  What could be the problem and what would you advise I try to diagnose
this?  It seems like everytime someone accesses the file server it crashes.
Could it be Windows XP not being compatible with Samba?  PLease advise.

Chris Lum
250-728-3301 ext 216
Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
Bamfield, BC