[Samba] SAMBA problem

Mohammad Noman hameedmn at myway.com
Tue Dec 10 17:57:01 GMT 2002

 This is what i did to run a samba file server on linux.  I installed liux 8.0 server installation (all packages, selecting security to be medium, no firewalls).  After linux was installed i checked samba was already installed along with it.  I created user accounts and port them to samba,created smb.conf (and directories to access through samba like public).

 i understand that linux box is somehow rejecting the connection when windows tries to connect it.  But I couldn't find any instructions on how to enable port 137 and 139 for samba.  Only thing i find is to run smbd -D and nmbd -D.
This is what i see if i run netstat -a.

[root at terran samba]# netstat -a
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 *:32768                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdo:32867 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:printer               *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:netbios-ssn           *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:9099                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:x11                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdom:8118 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:telnet                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdom:smtp *:*                     LISTEN
udp        0      0 *:32768                 *:*
udp        0      0 terran:netbios-ns       *:*
udp        0      0 *:netbios-ns            *:*
udp        0      0 terran:netbios-dgm      *:*
udp        0      0 *:netbios-dgm           *:*
udp        0      0 *:bootpc                *:*
udp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*

 --- On Tue 12/10, Joel Hammer  wrote:From: Joel Hammer [mailto: Joel at HammersHome.com]To: mnh1 at hotmail.com, samba at lists.samba.orgDate: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:22:30 -0500Subject: Re: [Samba] SAMBA problemYou need to make sure the firewall on your linux machine is not blocking
those ports. So, what is the fireall on your linux machine doing?

Joel