[Samba] Help to a wet-behind-the-ears Linux newbie

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Dec 10 17:35:01 GMT 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Andrew Fellingham wrote:

> Hi :-)
>
> I am struggling through a RH 8.0 install on a machine we are looking to
> replace our Netware server. I got tapped to do this as I support the
> Graphics Deparment Mac OS ASIP server (running over 2 years now without a
> crash and no outage except for general maintenance).
>
> I am attempting to set up SAMBA to provide file sharing for our Windows
> clients (something not for the faint of heart, I understand). I was able to
> configure both Webmin and SWAT, and can access both services from a remote
> machine, but am unable to see the server (FLASHSRV.WORKGROUP) in the Network
> Neighborhood or when I list all available hosts in nmblookup (nmblookup -d 2
> '*') and nmblookup acts as if the server isn't even available at the IP
> address specified for it. I have checked the /etc/services file and it lists
> all ports properly for the nmbd and smbd Daemons (137 through 139) so it
> doesn't appear to be a port issue. The NIC doesn't appear to be the problem,
> as I am very able to access the internet via ethernet.
>
> I am able to see all client machines in nmblookup and in Network
> Neighborhood, so I suspect it is a problem with my SAMBA setup, more than
> likely something so simple and Freshman that I will kick myself for a few
> minutes as soon as one of you knowledgeable people are able to point it out
> to me. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am (gasp!) almost ready to give
> up and install a Win 2000 Server (something I have wanted to avoid) in order
> to get this up and running.

Some hints:

1) Add to smb.conf [globals]:
	workgroup = 'your_workgrop_name'
	domain logons = Yes

2) Remove from smb.conf [globals]
	wins proxy = Yes

3) You specified that the samba server is the WINS server by setting in
smb.conf [globals] "wins support = Yes", so make sure that ALL your MS
Windows clients in their TCP/IP settings have the IP Address of your Samba
server as the WINS server address for BOTH WINS primary and secondary.

4) Reboot all MS Windows workstations

5) Check that in your wins.dat file every MS Windows client has it's
entries. This file will be in /var/cache/samba/wins.dat, of
/var/lock/samba/wins.dat, or in /usr/local/samba/var/locks/wins.dat

6) Wait 15 minutes, then check that all your machines are in the
browse.dat file in the same directory where you found wins.dat.

7) Now things should work for you.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra