[Samba] Help to a wet-behind-the-ears Linux newbie

Andrew Fellingham afellingham2 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 10 16:57:06 GMT 2002

Hi :-)

I am struggling through a RH 8.0 install on a machine we are looking to
replace our Netware server. I got tapped to do this as I support the
Graphics Deparment Mac OS ASIP server (running over 2 years now without a
crash and no outage except for general maintenance).

I am attempting to set up SAMBA to provide file sharing for our Windows
clients (something not for the faint of heart, I understand). I was able to
configure both Webmin and SWAT, and can access both services from a remote
machine, but am unable to see the server (FLASHSRV.WORKGROUP) in the Network
Neighborhood or when I list all available hosts in nmblookup (nmblookup -d 2
'*') and nmblookup acts as if the server isn't even available at the IP
address specified for it. I have checked the /etc/services file and it lists
all ports properly for the nmbd and smbd Daemons (137 through 139) so it
doesn't appear to be a port issue. The NIC doesn't appear to be the problem,
as I am very able to access the internet via ethernet.

I am able to see all client machines in nmblookup and in Network
Neighborhood, so I suspect it is a problem with my SAMBA setup, more than
likely something so simple and Freshman that I will kick myself for a few
minutes as soon as one of you knowledgeable people are able to point it out
to me. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am (gasp!) almost ready to give
up and install a Win 2000 Server (something I have wanted to avoid) in order
to get this up and running.

Thanks in advance

Here is a dump of my samba.config file

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2002/12/10 10:22:38

# Global parameters
[global]
	netbios name = FLASHSRV
	server string = %L running Samba 2.2.7
	interfaces = eth0 172.17.2.3/255.255.255.0
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
	os level = 65
	domain master = Yes
	wins proxy = Yes
	wins support = Yes