[Samba] FW: Samba and Windows 2000 Password Authentication - Here is the Answer.

David Neilson DNeilson at westfam.com
Tue Dec 10 01:10:10 GMT 2002

To Samba Users Group:

I posted the message below, and a member of the group called me and talked
me through the problem.  The solution is at the bottom of the page.

The Answer:

When the Windows Administrator had created the machine account in the
domain, I assumed I did not have to use the "smbpasswd" command to create
the trust relationship between the Samba Server and the domain.  I was
wrong, and once I followed the steps below, I could log onto the domain and
then access Samba shares without getting asked for a password:

Update the global section of the smb.conf file to include the following:
workgroup = MY_COMPANY_DOMAIN
security = domain
password server = *
encrypt passwords = yes
smbpasswd file = THE_FILE_PATH_AND_NAME
os level = 0 ### This server will never become a domain controller

Stop the smbd and nmbd daemons.

Run the smbpasswd command to establish a trust relationship:
smbpasswd -j MY_COMPANY_DOMAIN -r DOMAIN_CONTROLLER -Uadministrator%password

Start up the Samba daemons.