[Samba] Description of Shares in Windows

Peter Caitens Peter_Caitens at TechnologyOneCorp.com
Tue Dec 10 00:15:01 GMT 2002

On my Windows XP and 200 boxes the shares that I have mapped in a login
script have their descriptions set to the following:
downloads on 'Samba Sever 2.2.6pre2' (M:)
This would be fine if I had set  server string = Samba Server %v  in the
smb.conf file.
However I have this set to server string = Samba.
When I browse the network on the Windows boxes the correct description
appears for the server - Samba (calais)
Excerpt from smb.conf:
[global]
    workgroup = INNWEBTECH
    netbios name = calais
    server string = Samba

    security = user
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    domain logons = Yes

Excerpt login script has the following line:
net use M: \\calais\downloads

Does anyone know how to set the correct description for the share on mapped
drives?

> Peter Caitens
> Analyst Programmer - Student One
> Technology One Limited
>
> 67 High St , Toowong 4066
> Phone:  +61 7 3377 7506
> Fax:      +61 7 3377 7301
> E-mail:   Peter_Caitens at TechnologyOneCorp.com
> Techone home page at:  http://www.TechnologyOneCorp.com
> Technology One's entire liability will be limited to resupplying the
> material enclosed. No other warranties are provided

Technology One designs, develops, implements and supports intelligent
enterprise wide software applications using Internet, eBusiness and Client
Server technologies for both corporate and government organisations

> *******************   Confidentiality Statement  *******************
> The information transmitted in this email is only for the recipient
> referred in this email and may contain confidential and/or privileged
> material.   If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for
> delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this
> message to anyone. In such case any review, retransmission, dissemination
> or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
> prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and
> delete the material from the computer.
>
> Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of the company shall be understood as
> neither given nor endorsed by it.

We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or
similar in any attachment.
 <<Peter Caitens.vcf>>