[Samba] SuperSlow Browsing

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Dec 9 18:23:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Dominik Wagenknecht wrote:

> This thread is getting more and more complicated!!!
>
> Please, HELP ME (if you can), I really read every FAQ and searched the
> archives....

If I read correctly then you are trying to use samba as a WINS server for
multiple workgroups/domain. If that is correct then you have a problem as
samba is NOT multiple workgroup/domain capable.

If your problem is users who insist on messing with their workgroup
settings and you want to allow that then you need to not use WINS or else
run a WINS server on MS Windows 2000 Server or NT4 Server - both of which
are multi-workgroup/domain capable. Though I must state that multiple
workgroups/domain hanlding is always messy and prone to browsing problems.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org