[Samba] Problem printing with WinXP and samba

Gabriel Matthews gabriel at cinergycom.com
Mon Dec 9 17:36:00 GMT 2002

I am having problems printing from my XP machine to a printer hosted from
a linux redhat 8 w/samba2.2.7-2 installed.  I can see the printer fine
from \\[server]  (browsing from network places) and I can see other shares
and stuff, but once I install the printer, it says "access denied, unable
to connect".  So I'm assuming that I need to set security on a file
somewhere, but since I'm fairly new to linux, I need a little help knowing
what files to set.

/var/spool/lpd looks like this:
total 12
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Dec  9 02:28 .
drwxr-xr-x   13 root     root         4096 Dec  5 08:01 ..
drwx------    2 lp       lp           4096 Dec  9 05:07 CS3

And the above permissions are recursively set throughout the CS3
directory.

/var/spool/samba looks like this:
total 8
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Dec  9 05:07 .
drwxr-xr-x   13 root     root         4096 Dec  5 08:01 ..
lrwxrwxrwx    1 lp       lp             18 Dec  9 02:31 CS3 ->
/var/spool/lpd/CS3

Do printers and their objects have to be set to LP to print?  LP is a
group, so should I just add each user to the LP group, or is there a
better/easier way?

Or am I just missing something? :)

Gabriel