[Samba] Samba and FlashMX and Photoship

Tom Warfield twarfield at astcorp.com
Mon Dec 9 17:26:58 GMT 2002

(NOTE: If you responde to this please also CC me at twarfield at astcorp.com
....thank you!)
Alright we have several users, about 10, using a Samba server with Flash MX.
If they copy the files from the server and then work only on their machines
and save only to their machines then everything works fine.

If they work directly off the files on the server and save to the server
while working directly off it they get varied sporatic problems.  We have
had complaints of FlashMX locking up, the computer rebooting, Adobe
Photoshop locking up, and even the horrid blue screen of death.  All of the
clients are Windows 2000 Professional and have varied service packs on the
machines.

I read that the problem might be opt locks so i turned them off using veto
oplock files = /*.*  Still the problem exists and I have no more ideas on
how to fix it.  Here is the pertinant info(if you have a smb.conf working
with flash and want to share please do so!):

smbd -V
Version 2.999+3.0cvs20020906-1 for Debian

(yes i know the security is extremely lax in this config, but we are not
worried about that right now! The share is named graphics)

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]
        veto oplock files = /*.*
        path = /files/graph-archive
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        auto services = global graphics
        dns proxy = no
        null passwords = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        invalid users = root
        max log size = 1000
        printer = lp
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
        security = share
        server string = HaL 9000
        workgroup = GRAPH