[Samba] SuperSlow Browsing

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Dec 9 14:20:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Franz Sirl wrote:

> At 00:56 08.12.2002, John H Terpstra wrote:
> >On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Dominik Wagenknecht wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I've set up a Samba-Server with WINS which should enhance networking
> > > around here. The situation is fairly simple:
> > >
> > > - Around 90 Student-PC's
> > > - Everything is in the net 10.1.2.0 / 255.255.255.0
> > >
> > > Till now everything worked more or less well without WINS (so the
> > > DHCP-Server just assigned IP/Gateway/DNS).
> > > Now I installed a samba machine and activated WINS-Server. The IP of
> > > the WINS Server is assigned through the DHCP:
> > >
> > > option netbios-name-servers 10.1.2.15;
> > > option netbios-node-type 2;
> >
> >No way! You want netbios-node-type 8
> >
> >By saying type 2, you are telling your MS Windows clients to ignore WINS!
> >You told them to use Broadcast based name resolution.
>
> Well, unless all the docs are wrong, you are wrong here, or? 2==P-Node
> which means WINS only, whereas 8==H-Node meaning WINS first then broadcast.
> And the ISC DHCPD FAQ explicitly recommends using P-Node, which seems
> logical to me as one doesn't want unnecessary broadcasts if there is a WINS
> server around.

You are correct. I was wrong about node-type. P-Type should work fine,
H-Type does provide the broadcase name resolution fall-back. I should have
checked type 2 more carefully. Sorry for mis-information.

Key things to look at next are:

1. Do samba interfaces have the same netmask as all Windows clients?

2. Are MS Windows client IP address and names being registered in the
samba WINS database (wins.dat)?

3. Check that each machine on the network is being recorded in the
browse.dat file.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra