[Samba] dns

ni samba at organicmeat.net
Mon Dec 9 13:09:00 GMT 2002

My problem is almost certainly that I've screwed up my local bind
configuration (I have bind running on my LAN behind a NATted gateway).
Until last week, samba was working just fine.  Obviously at some point
last week I made a change to my zone files which meant that my yip.yay
addresses no longer resolve (yip.yay is just a name i picked out of a
hat -- i don't own the domain or anything, but since this is a private
network i don't think it matters).  When I try to connect with another
machine (prometheus -- 172.27.5.3 in this case) i see the following in
/var/log/samba/log.prometheus:

[2002/12/03 20:20:45, 0] lib/util_sock.c:matchname(900)
   sys_gethostbyname(prometheus.yip.yay): lookup failure.
[2002/12/03 20:20:45, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_socket_name(967)
   Matchname failed on prometheus.yip.yay 172.27.5.3

I definitely want to figure out what I did wrong with my bind
configuration, but in the meantime is there a way that I can ask samba
not to query dns so that samba will be usable until I get this fixed?

	thank you very much in advance for you time,

		~c