[Samba] xcopy /o query

Andrew Furey andrew at terminus.net.au
Mon Dec 9 08:43:00 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I'm trying to use xcopy /o to copy files from a W2k file server to a
Samba 2.2.7 box (Samba manually compiled with ACLs). I'm coming up with
Access Denied, as documented here:
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2002-June/074548.html

I gather that the "force unknown acl users" config option is supposed to
fix that, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. However,
according to the manpage:

"This is designed to allow  Windows  NT  clients  to
          copy  files  and  folders containing ACLs that were
                   created locally on the client machine  and  contain
                            users  local to that machine only (no domain
users)                             to be copied to a Samba server
(usually with  XCOPY                             /O)  and have the
unknown userid and groupid of the                             file owner
map to the current connected user."

My question is, since this is a (new) domain Samba server connecting to
an existing W2k PDC on an established domain, [why] does the bit about
"local users only (no domain users)" still apply?

TIA
Andrew

--
ANDREW FUREY <andrew at terminus.net.au> - Sysadmin/developer for Terminus.