[Samba] Re: Permissions problem

Thabu Pienaar thabu at computer-net.co.za
Sun Dec 8 15:37:01 GMT 2002

I've done some testing....

from the Samba server, 'smbclient -B 192.168.0.255' samba returns a name query failed to find-error.  All names  are in all LMHOSTS and HOSTS files on both Win & Linux machines.  All other smbclient tests worked fine.  Can see shares from Linux on Win, only reverse not (from Win to Linux).  Can also connect to a Wins share from Samba srvr.  It seems that the Linux box doesn't respond to name queries.  How can I fix it?

Here is my smb.conf file...
[global]
   workgroup = PRIVATE
   netbios name = SAMBA
   server string = %h server (samba %v)
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   guest ok = no
   null passwords = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat debug = yes
   debug level = 3
   log level = 3
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\SUNIX\spassword:*%n\n *Retype\snew\SUNIX\spassword:* %n\n*passwd:\spassword\supdated*.
   unix password sync = yes
   syslog = 0
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   domain logons = no
   local master = yes
   os level = 64
   preferred master = yes
   domain master = yes
   enhanced browsing = yes
   wins support =  yes
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   print command = lp -d%p -oraw %s; rm %s
   lpq command = lpstat -o%p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j
   queuepause command = disable %p
   queueresume command = enable %p
   show add printer wizard = yes
   printing = lprng
   preserve case = no
   short preserve case = no
   default case = lower
   case sensitive = no

[netlogon]
   comment = network Logon Service
   path = /home/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   share modes = no
   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.1. 127.

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775
   map to guest = bad user

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/samba
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   write list = @staff

[thabusdir]
   comment = Thabu's Service
   path = /home/thabu
   valid users = thabu root Thabu
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[myshare]
   comment = Thabu and Antoinette's stuff
   path = /home/public
   valid users = thabu antoinette Thabu Antoinette
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   create mask = 0765