[Samba] SuperSlow Browsing

Dominik Wagenknecht dominik at wagenknecht.cc
Sat Dec 7 15:51:01 GMT 2002

Hi!

I've set up a Samba-Server with WINS which should enhance networking
around here. The situation is fairly simple:

- Around 90 Student-PC's
- Everything is in the net 10.1.2.0 / 255.255.255.0

Till now everything worked more or less well without WINS (so the
DHCP-Server just assigned IP/Gateway/DNS).
Now I installed a samba machine and activated WINS-Server. The IP of
the WINS Server is assigned through the DHCP:

option netbios-name-servers 10.1.2.15;
option netbios-node-type 2;

The WINS-Server seems to work perfectly (wins.dat and browse.dat are
filled and correct), but when I start browsing through my Network
Neighbourhood in XP I have to wait up to 30s till I see the machines in
a certain workgroup. (and system is standing still....)

these are the essential parts from smb.conf:

# vorrangregelungen
         local master = yes
         domain master = yes
         preferred master = yes
         wins support = yes
#       wins proxy = yes
#       dns proxy = yes

of course workgroup is set.

Please Help if you can! (I'm already working on this since 2 days....)

--Dominik Wagenknecht