[Samba] HP Deskjet Driver Problems

Dietrich Restemeyer Dietrich.Restemeyer at t-online.de
Sat Dec 7 15:42:01 GMT 2002

After reading the last 'ct magazine i was successfull in loading up
printerdrivers to my samba box via microsoft apw the first time.

I am using SuSE 8.1 with cups. the "add printer command" was the thing getting
it to work.

my script for adding printers :

#!/bin/bash
# Script zum anlegen eines Sambadruckers mit cups
#$1 = Ausführlicher Druckername
#$2 = Drucker/Queue/Share-Name
#$5 = Ort des Druckers
#
/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p "$2" -D "$1" -L "$5"
echo "Samba Printer Port"

after adding the driver I use the cups webfrontend at port 631 to tell the
generated printer the real conection lp1 for example.
After this everything is done and works great.
This so for every original w2k driver comming with windows, the lexmark
drivers, the okidate driver for my okipage 10ex.

Only the damned HP driver for my 970cxi does not work. It seems to be
installed well, but if try to access the printer windows comes up with
a window : access violation at port  ......

my workaround to use the original Hp Driver (the one comming with windows
has no function for duplex an no print preview) is to use the cups lpd emu
and install the driver local at the windows box and then connect over lpd.

anyone out there who has solved this problem ?

didi