[Samba] Samba Performance question

Belgardt, Wolfgang Wolfgang.Belgardt at hp.com
Fri Dec 6 19:55:01 GMT 2002

Hello Jim and Noel,

Thanks for your helps.
You ask me about the physical disk configuration.
A short  survey:
The physical Configuration of the storage is a HP/Compag  SAN fabric with five HSG80 storage array controllers. The disk on this five controllers are configured to raid 5 sets. ( All raid 5 sets ( about 25) are summarized  by advfs addvol command to one big advfs Volume. I believe that we have an very good balancing on the fiber optic SAN and also on the HSG80 storage controllers.  If I run a search from Tru64,  have excellent time of response.
Parallel we have tested with ASU (Advanced Server Unix  Software) and the responds was factor 2 higher as  with samba.
To break down the large directories was my first  meaning also,  we have done this depended from the software. Now we can't more decrease the number of file in the directories.
I have read in a document, that samba has changed from  shared memory to use mmap. Is there an  bottleneck maybe? I will look to the kernel parameters from ubc (unified buffer cache) on Tru64.  I believe it is a buffer problem, but where?

Kind Regards / Grüsse

Wolfgang