[Samba] New files and directories

Robert Adkins raa at impelind.com
Fri Dec 6 16:41:02 GMT 2002

Hello,

	I have an annoying little issue. I am currently running  Samba 2.2.5-10
as a Primary Domain Controller and have a number of shared drives with a
 variety of differing users and user rights all over the place.

	In my smb.conf file, I have the following share:

	[emergpo]
        path = /share/purchasing/emergpo
        force directory mode = 0770
        create mode = 0770
        writeable = yes
        force create mode = 0770
        directory mode = 0770
        user = @emergpo
        force group = @emergpo
        valid users = @emergpo
        comment = For Emergency Purchase Orders
        wide links = no
        write list = @emergpo

	Now, from what I understand any new files that are created within this
share should have the ownership be the following <username>:emergpo.
Unfortunately, that is not happening, what is happening is that both the
user and the group ownership bit are set to the creator of the file.
Which is HIGHLY annoying since my phone is often inundated with calls
asking why they can't access a file located on said drive.

	I do know that if I were to set the permissions of all files to be 0777
then everyone with access to that drive will be able to do whatever they
need to those files. Unfortunately, that is not what I wish to see in my
Samba configuration.

	Is this something that would be "fixed" if I were to update to a newer
release of Samba? I know that I should be updating to 2.2.7 to avoid the
recent security issue. However, none of my users have the skills to even
attempt simple hacks, let alone the slightly complex hack that is fixed
with 2.2.7. I also have to many other things going on right this instant
to test a 2.2.7 upgrade.

	Any pointers anyone has would be wonderful. Thanks for the assistance.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.