[Samba] [Samba]mapping drive in XP hangs

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Fri Dec 6 09:27:01 GMT 2002

>Recently (since last friday) my XP boxes cannot map a drive, and
>auto-mapped home dirs cause a huge timeout of over 15 minutes!

Likely a network problem, if you can swear you didn't change anything.

I had a similar problem right about when I switched from 2.2.5
deliverable to self-built 2.2.7 so the suspicion was thickening that
I should revert to the insecure fore-runner. All the more since no
amount of tracing showed any apparent problems except the time scale.

And then I found out that the network people flashed another firmware
in a fast switch downstream from another one hooked to a slow gateway
hub. When the newly flashed switch went offline the header switch
just rerouted all macs from the failed port to the 10 Mbps link-up
causing something like the symptoms you describe. Just resetting the
switch took care of the problem.