[Samba] Samba Performance question

Belgardt, Wolfgang Wolfgang.Belgardt at hp.com
Thu Dec 5 20:46:01 GMT 2002

Dear all,

I have a difficult Problem with samba 2.2.5, I hope everyone can help me.
My customer has samba 2.2.5 running on a HP Alpha Server ES40 Cluster with Tru64 V5.1. The share on this Server has  3.1 million files in  16000 directories.
Some one this directories have 45000 files on it.
The problem is: if we try a search a file from this  big directory  via an   NT Client the response time is to large for the the customer.
He has run an similar application on a NT File server. NT responded after 1 sec  and samba need 6 sec.
Can someone explain me what I can do to increase the performance, please?

Kind Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Wolfgang Belgardt
Customer Support Consultant

Hewlett-Packard GmbH
Customer Support
Bonsiepen 5
D-45136 Essen
Phone: ++49 (0) 201 2663 258
Fax:     ++49 (0) 201 2663 200
mobil:   +49 (0171 3357 256)
E-mail:   Wolfgang.Belgardt at hp.com
http://www.hp.com/de
Hewlett-Packard GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Jörg Menno Harms (Vorsitzender), Jürgen Banhardt, Wolfram Fischer,
 Rainer Kaczmarczyk, Bärbel Schmidt, Fritz Schuller, Regine Stachelhaus
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Heribert Schmitz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen, Amtsgericht Böblingen HRB 4081