[Samba] Administrator account samba-3.0alpha21 and LDAP

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Thu Dec 5 15:43:00 GMT 2002

Hi!

I am setting up a test bed for Samba PDC + LDAP.  I used the 3.0alpha21
rpm for RH8 from samba.org. The setup is working.  Win9x client can
login no problem.

I was wondering how I should setup an "Administrator" account for the
domain.  Right now, my plan is to have samba authenticate only to the
ldap backend ("passdb backend = ldapsam" only).  Does  the administrator
only need write access to the ldap tree or it also need to be root on
the machine (uidnumber or gidnumber 0) ? What should I put in the rid
and primaryGroupID field ?  At the very least, I'd like to be able to
add machine accounts to the domain with this account.

Thanks for your input !

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
PGP Pub Key: http://www.LinuxQuebec.com/pubkeys/eg.key
Fingerprint: F569 0394 098A FC70 B572  5D20 3129 3D86 8FD5 C853