[Samba] smbclient -L <nameofserver>

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Thu Dec 5 15:06:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 02:44:58PM -0000, Sales wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have set up Samba and am running through diagnosis testing and when I enter the above command on my Linux box it automatically asks me for a password.
>
> If I <return> ie null password session setup fails
> If I enter 'the password that I am logged on as' i get setup session not started NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
> relevant lines in my smb.conf which i think may be affecting this are
>
> security = user
> encrypt passwords = Yes
> public = yes
> guest ok = yes
> hosts allow = 192.168.
>
> does anyone know where I'm going wrong

If your unix username ist "howard" smbclient use this username to
authenbticate against windows/samba. If you want to use another username for
windows/samba you should use: smbclient -L <nameofserver> -U username
and my favorite "...-W WorkgroupOrDomainName"

Dont forget, this user must exist in smbpasswd on samba server and! as
unixuser with same name.

--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de