[Samba] RE: Version 2.2.6 and above are not able to store big files over 2GB

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Dec 4 15:15:01 GMT 2002

> Message: 22
> From: Ken Walker <ken.walker at textiles.umist.ac.uk>
> To: "'samba at lists.samba.org'" <samba at lists.samba.org>,
> 	"'newbie at linux-mandrake.com'" <newbie at linux-mandrake.com>,
> 	Expert Mandrake <expert at linux-mandrake.com>
> Subject: RE: [Samba] RE: Version 2.2.6 and above are not able to store big
> 	 fil	es over 2GB
> Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 19:06:20 -0000
>
> Here are my tests using a LM8.1 ( samba 2.2.2 ext2 ) and LM9 ( samba 2.2.7
> ext3)
>
> Using Tar to copy 8Gig comprising 5 folders and umpteen files.
>
> From	    to	File system	 Max file size allowed	Max file size system
>
> LM8.1	    LM9	    ext3			2Gig			4Gig
> LM8.1	  Win2000	    ntfs			2Gig
> 4Gig
> LM8.1	   Win98	    fat32			2Gig
> 4Gig
>
> Also tried using cp, as above, with a 4Gig file and it still bombed out at
> 2Gig.

Yes, this is known ...

> So it looks like if you want to copy a file out of or into a samba server
> that's bigger than 2G. forget it.

Incorrect conclusion, your problem is on the client side.

> It doesn't even respect the target
> operating systems max file size.

No, smbfs doesn't support files over 2GB.

> Any answers from the Samba Team ?

Maybe you should rather cc the cooker list (since you've basically got
all the other Mandrake lists already) and ask them when they will merge
the newer smbfs stuff, or you can patch your kernel, or maybe you want
to build 2.5.x kernel from source and try that.

> Mr Smiley ( stuck in a corner and basically buggered :o(  )

Samba on Mandrake should support files over 2GB out the box, but you're
going to have to try from a windows box that supports large files (ie
don't try and copy a 2GB+ file to fat32).

Buchan

- --