[Samba] samba PDC problems

Tim Nicol tim at amdt.com.au
Wed Dec 4 01:54:01 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I am having trouble setting up samba to act as a PDC.  I am fairly new to red hat linux, and have just installed RH 7.3 running the default configuration.  I updated samba to 2.2.7 using the online updating feature and followed a step by step tutorial to configure samba to become a PDC.

When i try to connect to the domain with windows XP pro, it displays the message "a domain controller for the domain mydomain can not be located"

when i choose details it says

The error was: "DNS request not supported by name server."
(error code 0x0000232C RCODE_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain

The network is simple, one windows XP pro machine with IP 192.168.1.6 and one RH 7.3 linux machine with IP 192.168.1.5.  Connections are working because both machines succuessfully ping each other.

I ran testparm with no errors and have verified the samba server is running properly with
"smbclient //mymachine/user -U user -W mydomain"

I downloaded and ran the SignOrSeal reg patch for XP, and also disabled the "Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always)" option in the local security.

I have triple checked the tutorial guide with my config file, and have manually created the required accounts

What could be the problem?  I have seen other people on this list with the same problem, but the threads seem to die out without a solution.  Please help!

-Tim