[Samba] Re: Machine accounts are no longer recognized in SAMBA 3.0-20-4

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Dec 3 23:52:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 05:41:05PM -0500, Irving Carrion wrote:
> Well that's because I started out using the following:
> passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/passdb.tdb unixsam

Well, shoot -- that was my best guess. :)

> All our workstations stopped working.  If I change the computer name,
> switch to workgroup, then try to re-join the domain under a different
> computer name, it works.  Do you know what .tdb file machine information
> is stored in.

All the necessary machine information is stored in the passdb -- either
in smbpasswd or in passdb.tdb.  If you try to rejoin the domain *without*
changing the computer name, what happens?

If you look at one of these machine accounts using pdbedit -lv -u '<machine>$',
what do you see for 'account flags'?  I believe it should say

  Account Flags:        [W          ]

If it doesn't, the account is no longer listed as a machine account, and
this would explain why the domain trust is failing.  I'm not sure if the
pdbedit command gives you a way to change this, though obviously you can
edit smbpasswd directly to fix it.

> But it really doesn't matter which backend I use, they both don't work
> smbpasswd or tdbsam.  Plus theoretically they both should have the same
> information since smbpasswd was generated from an expert I performed on
> tdbsam using pdbedit -e.

Ok.  I'm just trying to figure out how something in the maintainer
scripts would leave you with a valid, yet broken passdb.tdb file.  Was
passdb.tdb one of the tdb files that you tried to restore to fix this?
Was there any difference between the old passdb.tdb and the one present
after upgrading to -4?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer