[Samba] Samba & ACL

James S. Martin james.martin at digex.com
Tue Dec 3 20:45:01 GMT 2002

I'm not so sure about this... but looking at the changelog for Red Hat's
2.4.18-18.7.x kernel says (for RH 7.2) :

grep -B 2 -i acl kernel-2.4.spec

* Mon Aug 12 2002 Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com>
- ACLs removed for now because of stability and correctness problem

If you grep the config file the kernel was built with you get:

grep -i acl kernel-2.4.18-i686-smp.config
CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y

  grep -i xatt kernel-2.4.18-i686-smp.config
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR_SHARING=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR_USER=y

But if you boot with that kernel and try to mount a partition with
acl,user_xattr options you get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/ida/c0d0p7,
        or too many mounted file systems

So it looks like the option is turned on in the kernel config, but the
patch is not actually in the kernel.

James