[Samba] RE: Version 2.2.6 and above are not able to store bigfil es over 2GB

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Tue Dec 3 19:57:01 GMT 2002

Jeremy's fix has been checked into the CVS tree along with a fix for
smbclient showing the correct sizes that I just made. This may fix
your problem.

Ken Walker wrote:

> Here are my tests using a LM8.1 ( samba 2.2.2 ext2 ) and LM9 ( samba 2.2.7
> ext3)
>
> Using Tar to copy 8Gig comprising 5 folders and umpteen files.
>
> From        to  File system      Max file size allowed  Max file size system
>
> LM8.1       LM9     ext3                        2Gig                    4Gig
> LM8.1     Win2000           ntfs                        2Gig
> 4Gig
> LM8.1      Win98            fat32                       2Gig
> 4Gig
>
> Also tried using cp, as above, with a 4Gig file and it still bombed out at
> 2Gig.
>
> So it looks like if you want to copy a file out of or into a samba server
> that's bigger than 2G. forget it. It doesn't even respect the target
> operating systems max file size.
>
> Any answers from the Samba Team ?
>
> Mr Smiley ( stuck in a corner and basically buggered :o(  )

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D